Saturday, January 15, 2011

Keeping up with the boys...

Welcome to Alaska, to Chisana, to
Pioneer Outfitters and Home.
Keep it simple, stupid. Alrighty... I heard someone mention the other day that I should use smaller words, and fewer of them at that when someone arrives for the first time. It can be a little overwhelming. Not only the new environment, but dang close to an alien planet depending on where one is coming from. So here are the words to get you started, “GET. UP. DOGS. FEED. WOOD. CUT. WATER. HAUL.” Give yourself a while. Limit your input. Give us time to show you why.


We are getting ready to welcome the first Trainee of 2011. "Newbie #1" from Idaho, 21 years old, has dreams of being one of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". Is he ready? Not likely. Can he do it? We'll see what he's made of, test him, train him, damn near kill him (if my own experiences are anything to go by!) and if he feels the same way when it is all said and done (again and again and again), he'll get a pat on the back, a license, aches and pains, and the dubious honor of being part of the slightly infamous, professional crew of rebels and rascals.
I guess, one of the biggest obstacles living where and as we do, is understanding yourself. Dealing with yourself. When I came to Chisana, I remember Terry telling me that the hardest thing for people that lived in a place as remote with as few people as Chisana has, is that you run out of excuses. You run out of other people to blame for mistakes or shortcomings and you do one of two things. #1- You deal with it. You deal with the problem and work it out- you. #2- You leave. You will decide to leave and 99% of the time, it is someone else’s fault. It’s not easy. It can be brutal, looking closely and honestly, at yourself.

The life I chose, we choose, at first glance, seems very simple. Truthfully, every single day is more training in survival. Two thirds of the year, at the very least, we are pit against what nature throws at us. The remaining third is trying to work with nature. Physical strength is an absolute must. Man or woman, the life and work that is part of every single day of our lives requires physical strength and conditioning, not only to prevent injury, but to get the job done. As a woman, and a short one at that, I know I will never be as strong as a man. I’m very strong and I have an understanding with my pal, Leverage, but there are disadvantages!





1 comment: